I used to be really irritated by the cliche 'express yourself' and the idea that the arts are necessary for self-expression as if that's all arts in schools are about. Now with all this instant messaging and FBooking and tweeting and self-publishing of mediocrity, isn't there a whole lot self-expression? Has it made us more critical thinkers, more peaceful people?
I am not about to jump on the bandwagon and go clappy clappy hurrah hurrah self-expression. I'm still trying to resolve where I want to go with my creativity. While I'm all for using the technology as appropriate I spent quite a bit of time lately wondering whether using mediums just for the sake of use, is bordering on abuse. What standards are we setting for quality creative expression?
I don't think I can stand the idea of attaching my name to mediocrity.
11 February, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment