28 March, 2009

Green Gables

Without imagination there is only stasis.


To think that we do sooo many things without any sense of thrill or excitement. I like children's literature for that very reason. There is a wonder and enjoyment of the world that jaded adults just miss. Recently I got Anne of Green Gables from the bookstore, primarily because the cover was a really lovely turquoise and the cover page illustration of the character was so quirky that I couldn't resist. I was rewarded with a reading experience that was worth my superficial reason for picking it up. Like a child would be moved by the simplicity of how beautiful something looks, I found my shallow reason was enough of a motive. I'm just about halfway and I like Anne's desire to fill every experience with the imagination. Part of me would want to give real life Anne a time-out quite often but that's the soulless adult losing patience with trusting innocence.
I am not saying that we should approach everything with that open spirit, trusting all, and losing our wisdom to innocence. But it is good to infuse our days with imagination. Do we have to overload our senses with blood and gore and criminal investigations? What's so bad with a little fairy world, an ogre, a dragon or some stardust? Or even a little alternative reality in the fiery sky or the golden sea?


On a slightly related note, I was thinking recently that our Caribbean folklore tends to be very dark and full of gore. Even the benevolent supernatural creatures tend to be a bit frightening. Yes, I would like to take a few months away from my regular job and pore over the lore across the Caribbean region. There's no telling where imagination will take one. Like this post, where is it now?

I do think there is something about faith, love and the imagination in the: "unless ye be like a child..."

Blessings and Imagination to you!!!

No comments: