06 May, 2009

The Art of Beautiful Writing

As usual this post is going to be all over the place...the luxury of blogging.

The 'Beautiful Writing' which I speak of is calligraphy! I have fallen in love with it. It's been a few months since I bought a kid's calligraphy kit, and every now and then I try to be the artist I was never meant to be. But you know even if the scripts don't turn out how I want them to, I don't feel frustrated. It is surprisingly calming to be practising over and over and the results change ever so slightly. I have pages and pages of lettering and sometimes when I carry the kit around in my bag, I whip it out to get a few minutes of art in the middle of my day.
Now I am obsessed with getting the right pens for the skill. Right now I'm using chisel tip calligraphy markers, and I recently bought the last packet in the only store here, where I found them. So although my birthday is a long way off, you know what to get me if you ever swing by a stationery store. I might just be able to thank you with my eventual expertise in beautiful writing.
As for the other writing... can I say 'beautiful'? I'm not sure I want to be that daring. But I have dared myself to 1000 words a day. If I can squeeze that much in on a daily basis, then soon, very soon I can have the manuscript that is impatient to get out.
I got a puppy about 2 weeks ago and all I could think of when I saw him was 'runt'. Unsually harsh coming from dog-lover. But I think it was partly grief from having my Mavis replaced only 6 months after she died. And Harry was not taking too kindly to Puppy. He looked very uncomfortable. AND puppy had the same colouring as Mavis; gave me a bout of chagrin for my crazy, emo Mavis.
But you can't help but love a puppy. And call me crazy, puppies especially when they're still drinking milk have a distinctive smell which makes you want to pick them up and fondle their faces. I don't particularly like the teeth at my ankles, but they're a ball of energy, total fun.
All this to say, after a week of having 'Franco' (so named by a little person) he was not at all runt-like. He was round and roly-poly and his barking was so cute. Day by day I can see him growing, because I make sure he is fed at least 3-4 times for the day (I can't stand to see skinny dogs unless they're supposed to be a skinny breed).
Feed your writing 1000 words a day and soon you're going to see well-rounded project unfold.
But you know that already!
Namaste

No comments: