09 May, 2009

The Secret Life of a GG

Call me unpatriotic, or whatever you will, but why do taxpayers have to continue supporting an antiquated system of governor-generalship? I’m traditional in many ways, but do we really need this in our constitution? Can we not find a more inexpensive figurehead? Or why doesn’t Lizzy and Co. whether it’s Charlo or Haro or Will fund it?

I was driving past the governor general’s house some time ago and facetiously I said I would like to be a GG when I grow up. Housekeeping, cooking all taken care of and all spruced up and polished, go to all kinds of social functions, with my own personal guard... attend a few crappy functions, sign a litany of documents, just to say I signed. (to be honest I would not like it very much, except for enjoying the location and beauty of the colonial home)
I might be holding an extremely unpopular position but we waste so many dollars on useless figureheads, useless commissions that I want to wash my hands clean of being an active part of society. But that’s just a fleeting sentiment of wondering why keep this figure head? (ok ok if there is one place I should be completely honest, it’s this blog, so no, it’s not fleeting)
I recently saw a TV clip of the GG trying to bob the head to enjoy the music at a festival. It looked a bit silly. I immediately had the idea of someone writing a satirical faux blog of the ‘The Secret Life of a GG’ like TNT’s ‘The secret blog of “the current political leader”’ I used to read that TNT blog. I found it hilarious, much like the local TV satire of leading figures we had here a few years ago. A SNL genre of writing:
Inside the GG’s head: You know I don’t understand this music thing at all, what is this, no tambou and jouk fouye, the traditional things we grew up on? What is this do do do we do wop thing, I can’t even tap my fingers to it at all. But I better look as if I can enjoy this because over there the camera man is panning the camera towards me, ok, now little smile, fix the lips, and head left to right back and front yes, ok I think this will look respectable. Do do do do de wop wop. Cheups, a little quadrille and chac chac would go down well here.

‘The Secret Life of a GG,’ I can imagine the reactions to that irreverent kind of writing. Of course in a particular kind of social environment I would denounce it while secretly checking every week for an update.

'Tis the season of do do do do de wop de do...

No comments: