I try not to use this space as a journal to comment on current issues but sometimes when I listen to my students, I am reminded of the dismal support for our creative landscape. If our young people feel that those who have ‘succeeded’ are neglecting to support the youths’ interest in the arts then what are we projecting for the survival of our creative spirits? Folks, all I can say is that sometimes our artistes, even those who have received acclaim, are still struggling, still working multiple jobs to make ends meet and don’t always have the energy or will to give back to the community which heaps false praise. The ideal situation would be a thriving community of exchange, but reality often projects a hustle for the creative soul.
A few weeks ago I took in a news clip of Walcott at Carifesta, berating, lamenting the fact that Caribbean governments do not spend enough time investing in the society’s artists. I do not remember the exact words, but that was the gist. As was to be expected, Guyana’s leader responded that governments have so much to do in terms of providing basic amenities and infrastructure that it is unreasonable to expect them to fulfil the needs of every social sector adequately.
You know, I’m tired of both arguments. I am tired of wishing and hoping that more could be done for our artistes. I’m tired of looking at my students who have hopes and dreams that cannot be fulfilled if they stay on our small island; and those who remain, need to take on a job that feeds self and family, to the neglect of the creative impulse. I don’t even want to hear the argument that you can work hard at your dream in spite of the dearth of opportunities here. I’m tired of that one too.
I’m tired of governments and politicians claiming that they are so overwhelmed in trying to provide for the people that some sectors of society have to be neglected and it just happens to be the one that some artistes fall under. So our artistes can fall into oblivion because we have to bring people food, water, transportation, and education, the basics. And jobs of course. Which takes me right back to our artistes. What, did you think that they just sat around creating and it stays on the shelves, or in the studios? Oh yes, that’s what happens now, because they’re not thought of as important enough to be given priority because we need water, food, transportation, education, jobs, oh yes, right back there, artistes.
So I am really fed up that Walcott had to remind us of how we still relegate the artiste’s work to recreational activity. And I am thoroughly exasperated that governments are giving the same old tired excuse.
Take my island state for example, we can pay thousands for a tourism consultant, whose work is not immediately apparent (note I did not say useless, I said not immediately apparent) and we can’t sustain the island’s creative arts awards, formerly, M& C fine arts awards. I am ashamed and disappointed.
I am certainly pleased that so much is happening in our music industry. It seems there has been recognition of that aspect of our creativity. But what about our print creativity? What is happening to our writers and thespians? What will happen to me when I decide I want to take the next step with my writing?
Deep down I don’t see the need to defend the value of the artiste's work, but I feel as if at some point in time I am going to be venting my frustration with people who are intent on putting the creative impulse as an extra - curricular activity; as if writers and thinkers are idle scribblers while the rest of the world toils significantly at holding society together. What about the vision which writers present; reminders of what we need to consider but too often forget?
I refuse to feel defeated because I’ve only just begun. I can only hope you feel the same.
A few weeks ago I took in a news clip of Walcott at Carifesta, berating, lamenting the fact that Caribbean governments do not spend enough time investing in the society’s artists. I do not remember the exact words, but that was the gist. As was to be expected, Guyana’s leader responded that governments have so much to do in terms of providing basic amenities and infrastructure that it is unreasonable to expect them to fulfil the needs of every social sector adequately.
You know, I’m tired of both arguments. I am tired of wishing and hoping that more could be done for our artistes. I’m tired of looking at my students who have hopes and dreams that cannot be fulfilled if they stay on our small island; and those who remain, need to take on a job that feeds self and family, to the neglect of the creative impulse. I don’t even want to hear the argument that you can work hard at your dream in spite of the dearth of opportunities here. I’m tired of that one too.
I’m tired of governments and politicians claiming that they are so overwhelmed in trying to provide for the people that some sectors of society have to be neglected and it just happens to be the one that some artistes fall under. So our artistes can fall into oblivion because we have to bring people food, water, transportation, and education, the basics. And jobs of course. Which takes me right back to our artistes. What, did you think that they just sat around creating and it stays on the shelves, or in the studios? Oh yes, that’s what happens now, because they’re not thought of as important enough to be given priority because we need water, food, transportation, education, jobs, oh yes, right back there, artistes.
So I am really fed up that Walcott had to remind us of how we still relegate the artiste’s work to recreational activity. And I am thoroughly exasperated that governments are giving the same old tired excuse.
Take my island state for example, we can pay thousands for a tourism consultant, whose work is not immediately apparent (note I did not say useless, I said not immediately apparent) and we can’t sustain the island’s creative arts awards, formerly, M& C fine arts awards. I am ashamed and disappointed.
I am certainly pleased that so much is happening in our music industry. It seems there has been recognition of that aspect of our creativity. But what about our print creativity? What is happening to our writers and thespians? What will happen to me when I decide I want to take the next step with my writing?
Deep down I don’t see the need to defend the value of the artiste's work, but I feel as if at some point in time I am going to be venting my frustration with people who are intent on putting the creative impulse as an extra - curricular activity; as if writers and thinkers are idle scribblers while the rest of the world toils significantly at holding society together. What about the vision which writers present; reminders of what we need to consider but too often forget?
I refuse to feel defeated because I’ve only just begun. I can only hope you feel the same.
1 comment:
Yeah so I go be the first to comment on your ting deh.
Well I believe a lot of things about what you said. Art plays a role in society; it is an integral part of society where ones express and discource and even shape their course. I think part of the problem is that we are not a society. we are turned inside out and disintegrated into individualistic segments oriented at a personal and individual sense of achievement which itself is not truly rooted in this "society" and therefore is limited in how much it can serve it and be served by it. No one should support the arts in the sense of charity. I think art should deserve and be perceived as deserving what comes to it. The art should be functional to the society and the appreciation and "support" will be justified and forthcoming. it is not so much the art but the structure and nature of our "society". Also most of us aspire to some individualistic notion of success which is not really rooted in the society. One is not a poet because this is the avenue through which one is going to achieve some goal connected with the development of society...I think it is somewhat dysfunctional and obscene to want to be an artist before anything else. Art is a medium, not a cause. well there is more to say but I will stop here.
Post a Comment