22 November, 2008

Chocolate, Curacao and Conferencing

Quite a bit of chocolate later and the distraction of work, I think I will ease off the odes to Mavis. Sometimes I can’t help looking at the lovely weather and thinking, ‘if only she had held out for a few weeks more’ (although there were some dreadful lightning storms which would have undone her anyway). But the cycles of life and death must be respected and not railed against.
So long since my last entry, but not from lack of writing. One Sunday afternoon another project started itself. I say ‘started itself’ because I don’t know where it came from, it just appeared fully formed and then I realized that I been writing related pieces in sporadic efforts over time. I am excited to see how THAT one will unfold. Yes, I absolutely love the process of seeing something take shape. It is exhilarating. It truly is a high.
I am also slowly learning that sometimes I don’t have control over the writing process. You hear writers say that and you don’t understand it until you really experience it. Hmmm, is that why I’m feeling more of a writer these days, albeit unpublished. I am really getting to understand that sometimes you just have to let the muse do her thing. Woy! I’m tired of the ‘unpublished’ qualification.
Been doing other kinds of writing too: academic writing, conferencing. Naturally, I was writing about the status of the arts here and ways we can consider moving forward as a society. The most rewarding part about writing the paper: the heartfelt responses from other Caribbean islands experiencing scenarios similar to what I outlined. That made me feel that my work was worthwhile. But something about the lure of academic work is just not as dazzling and intoxicating as watching a creative idea unfold.
I have a feeling that’s why I am at crossroads with the writing, as if once I give over to this there’s no turning back. I keep feeling that everything hinges on me getting the opportunity to just write uninterrupted. Now I have even more respect for writers who manage to get it done in spite of the challenges of other jobs. I look at the weeks ahead and for me to get a few days of uninterrupted writing I feel as if I have to go in seclusion.
Ahh for the love of the written word.
The good thing about the conference: it gave me the drive to keep going. The great thing about the conference: it was a wonderful opportunity to meet people in similar fields and experience other energies. The fun thing about the conference: the excitement of seeing a new place and Curacao’s architecture is absolutely engaging. Here are some pics to enjoy.

The island is very hot, the vegetation is mostly cactus and thorny shrubs and it was green because of the recent storm rains.
The landscape is rather barren, particularly at the site of the sea cave:

It seems that the animal which thrives here is the iguana, hence the giant stone figure at the entrance to the sea cave site, although I didn't even see iguanas.
The tourist side of Punda has some gorgeous colours and distinctive archietecture:


The palace along the waterfront of Punda. We had a welcome reception there, really lovely; and when a cruiseship was heading out it was a gorgeous site, so close as if you could reach out and touch the ship.
The removable foot bridge across the canal; one of many. The palace is not in this one but it is located on the right of the bridge.
This one allows cruise ships to pass under

Photo taken from the other side of the canal, Otrabanda,this is the Punda waterfront, at sunset...





No comments: